Some thoughts on church,
and postmodernism,
and how it is that we find integrity and wholeness
in our varied forms of worship
and understandings of God.

An Entry Point

I've organized this blog chronologically from its inception, which is backwards from how most blogs are organized. Basically that means that the dates you see for each post to the right are imaginary. Don't worry about it. They show up in the right order...think of the "older posts" link as a "next" button.



And a BIG THANKS! to those who were willing to be interviewed, and who offered suggestions. You're really good sports, and I'm glad to know you (even though I've only ever really met Jay Voorhees, and I'm not sure that we did more than show up at the same seminar once).

8.24.2008

Exploring with explorefaith.org

ExploreFaith.com is another sort of parachurch expression...it is our catechesis, perhaps, but not a community in real relational sense. While their website indicates that ExploreFaith.com thinks of itself as such (see the Who We Are page), what it really amounts to is a very general summary of what an ideally accepting church might look like. Visitors can find answers to all sorts of questions about what Christians believe and what the church teaches, and all of their answers are easy for me to accept (as a lifelong United Methodist). There are some big names behind the site (Michael Battle was at Duke when I was there, Phyllis Trickle is one of only a few women cited, Marcus Borg is a part of it as well) and perhaps that's the issue: so many names and so many positions that it all seems very fuzzy and welcoming in a way that I'm not sure is faithful to the way we often struggle with so much of our faith. As far as building community, they don't. Any relationship with this site will be a "public space" relationship, with no real provision made to encourage life-changing encounters with Christ or even with other Christians. There are worship components (prayer and guided meditation) but nothing that points to a relationship apart from the individual and (maybe) God. I think the site is founded on a good idea, but in its desire to be welcoming and inoffensive, I find it bland and uninteresting. Pity. I would not have said that at all about the contributors.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a United Methodist (UM) pastor, married to a UM pastor, which makes life entertaining from time to time. I am a newly minted D. Min--yes, that's Rev. Dr. Anne, to you. I am a learner and teller of stories, looking at how we share faith and relationships. Any views I express here are not necessarily United Methodist views: they are mine.