Some thoughts on church,
and postmodernism,
and how it is that we find integrity and wholeness
in our varied forms of worship
and understandings of God.

An Entry Point

I've organized this blog chronologically from its inception, which is backwards from how most blogs are organized. Basically that means that the dates you see for each post to the right are imaginary. Don't worry about it. They show up in the right order...think of the "older posts" link as a "next" button.



And a BIG THANKS! to those who were willing to be interviewed, and who offered suggestions. You're really good sports, and I'm glad to know you (even though I've only ever really met Jay Voorhees, and I'm not sure that we did more than show up at the same seminar once).

9.10.2008

Teaching an old dog new tricks

They say it can be done. I'm hoping to learn this fall, when the local community college offers canine obedience classes. I already obey the dog; I'm curious to see if Cletus the WonderMutt, at the advanced age of 8ish, can learn anything new. I'd love to be able to have him off the leash, but when he's not restrained, all he can hear are the strains of "Born Free" in the wind. All kidding aside, can churches learn new tricks, or relearn old ones? I'm anxious to see if mine can. We want to attract new people, we have this new worship service, we want to do ministry differently...I wonder what that might look like.

1 comment:

Carrot Top Studio said...

Our dog needed so much help (maybe I needed so much help!) that we had to skip the classes and hire a personal trainer. It was so worth it (a phrase my teenagers love). So how does that equate to the church community? A personal trainer for a congregation? Hmmmm....maybe that's what pastors are? Regardless, good for you for looking forward at what it best for the church. Personally I think change and growth is a great thing-just have to take it in baby steps at times. Godspeed!

About Me

My photo
I am a United Methodist (UM) pastor, married to a UM pastor, which makes life entertaining from time to time. I am a newly minted D. Min--yes, that's Rev. Dr. Anne, to you. I am a learner and teller of stories, looking at how we share faith and relationships. Any views I express here are not necessarily United Methodist views: they are mine.